Monday, April 14, 2008

The good, the bad and the ugly...

Well the good news is that we have Ava...she looks beautiful and healthy. We had our embassy appointment this morning; we left the hotel at 6:30am and returned at 9:45am. She did pretty well...I walked her around for the 1st half and she slept almost the rest of the time.

The bad news is she is really grieving the loss of her foster family. When she gets upset she is inconsolable and screams like you're tearing her heart out. It's heart breaking to watch and even worse because she won't let me comfort her. She basically cried herself to sleep last night and only slept from 1:30-6:15am. She just looks really scared most of the time. It's a good sign overall I guess that she did bond/attach with her foster mother, so I guess in time she should eventually bond w/us. I just think it's going to be a long haul trying to win her trust. But today has been *slightly* better than yesterday, so I only hope it improves a little each day.

We don't have many pictures so far but I'll try to put a few up later.

Jen

10 comments:

melis16 said...

Hey honey...

Just hung up with you. I want to tell you again I am so happy that Ava is with you, but so sorry that she is having a rough time. My heart aches for you, AVa and her FMom. I know that this can be a hard time... but I truly believe that with your unwavering presence, love and patience she will attach/bond to you in exactly the perfect way.

Sending (((HUGS))) to you my dear friend and big 'ole kisses to the princesa!

Melis

Alex and Sam said...

jen
so happy to hear you finally have your baby... I hope as the days go by she will let you comfort her.. i feel so sad for you guys..

big hugs
alex

Pam L said...

Glad your Embassy appt. went so quickly. Little Ava will snuggle up to you quickly I'm sure. It's so hard to imagine what their little hearts and minds go through during this process. Just keep loving her the way you always have
and she'll be returning that love in no time.
Keeping you in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Our Abby was the exact same way! It is so heartbreaking to go through. She warmed up with me within a few days, but Jeremy couldn't hold her without unconsolable screaming for 2+ weeks. Hang in there! It will get better and she'll be bonded to you guys before you know it!

The gFamily said...

I am so glad that you are there with Ava!! I feel so bad for her that she is having a rough time, but you are right... It is a great sign that she bonded so well to her FM! She will be giving you the same love very soon and probably won't let anybody take her out of your arms! Oh darn! ;)

I am praying for you guys and hoping she is comfortable very soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie...I love your point that she bonded so well with her FMom. She will bond with you...her forever mom ...as soon as she gets home. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I am going out of town tomorrow, but wanted you to know I am thinking of all 5 of you...and the FMom.

Hugs,
Lanie

Frances said...

Jen,

My heart goes out to Ava and to you and Craig. I can't imagine how difficult this is for all of you. The good news is, it will get better...it is just so hard to watch. This is normal...it is exactly what John Bowlby (father of attachment theory) talked about. Babies will be unconsolable and eventually (with in days) move through this phase. Showing her consistent love and attention is what will help. There is nothing you can do better or differently. She just has to go through this.

Sending you (((HUGS)))

Alex and Sam said...

jen
I hope things are better tonite.. just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you guys... cant wait to see pictures of sweet ava
alex

The gFamily said...

Still thinking about you and hoping you had a better night last night! Praying that each day is better!!

Hugs!!!!

Kathryn said...

I am thinking about you and Ava. Hope that things are getting better and can't wait to see pictures soon!

Kat