Well, it works a little differently in Guatemala but not too much!!
The reworked Ortega Law (with some important amendments added) was introduced & read two times in the Guatemalan Congress this past week. Bills need to be read three times before they are officially approved. And what do you know...the third reading didn't take place! Instead, they closed their session on 11/30. BUT...they have decided to have a special session in December to do the third reading & passage. It is rumored to be happening on Tuesday, 12/4. Will it happen?? Who knows. But if it does it sounds like everything should work out okay for those of us in process.
The "new" Ortega Law has been posted on the Guat Congress' website. The wonderful guatadopt.com team stayed up half the night translating it to English. And there is in fact a grandfathering clause allowing all adoptions started in Guatemala (that's me!) to finish under the old laws. Now, if their Congress doesn't approve this law before the end of the year, nothing will change. So either way in process cases will be allowed to finish.
More on Tuesday...
Jen :]
Saturday, December 1, 2007
How a Bill Becomes a Law...
Posted by
redhawks
at
9:38 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
First of all, I am soooo happy to hear that the new bill includes a grandfathering clause (all of our hardwork payed off)!! I knew you'd be safe but I bet it helps tons to have it confirmed for real!
Second, I love the clip. That is one of my favorites from childhood!
HUGS,
Melis
I second the happiness to hear this news!!! Can't wait til that little angel is home with you and your family!
And I just have to say, too...great clip...School House Rock, ROCKS!! (That's how I learned the Preamble.)
xoxo,
Geri
All we have been hearing for the past couple of months..."the vote is in two weeks." I guess anything can happen, but hoping for the best for the future of Guatemalan adoptions!!
Post a Comment