Monday, October 15, 2007

More waiting...what else is new???

So JCICS finally published their statement today. Of course it didn't say what we hoped it would say. Here is an excerpt...

"During the past seven days, Joint Council has been in frequent and direct
communication with the Office of President Oscar Berger regarding his administration’s
position on the adoption cases currently in-process. Despite the ongoing dialogue
between Joint Council and the Berger administration, we are unable to report that
President Berger supports the unencumbered completion of the adoptions in-process.
Similarly, we cannot confirm the President’s support for the amendment to Article 52 of bill #3217, which would allow for the completion of in-process cases under current law. It is our understanding that the administration will publish an announcement on the transition cases on or around October 19th.

The administration has provided Joint Council with a statement and asked that we
communicate the content to the larger community. Unfortunately, the statement falls
short of supporting the best interest of the children whose adoptions are currently in process. Joint Council will continue to advocate with the administration to ensure that all in-process adoptions are completed and the best interest of each child is truly served."

Here's my *GUESS*...Back in the 2003 Hague mess, "in process" meant that you had a registered POA on file in Guatemala. I bet the Berger statement said something different...like, if you're in PGN then you're in process. The last line of the JCICS statement where it says "...to ensure that all in process adoptions are completed" makes me think he is not considering ALL of us who have referrals "in process".

Here's the link if you would like to read the entire JCICS statement...
JCICS Oct15 News

I guess we'll wait until Friday 10/19 now...

Jen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope to God it's not "if you're already in PGN" or we're dunzo. :( Hoping and praying for clarity as soon as possible on Friday.

Kathryn said...

I love "around the 19th" I wish I could do that with my job. I'll have to you around the 19th :)

I hope that Friday brings some great news and you can finally breathe again!

Hugs,
Kat