Monday, July 30, 2007

High cholesterol in kids???

So I'll start by saying that I have been waiting exactly 10 weeks today - yay! The girl at the top of the list will be 16 weeks tomorrow - boo. I hope she hears something soon!!!!!!

So onto the topic of cholesterol...after a week of pancakes and bacon every day on vacation (courtesy of Nanny) the boys have become spoiled and have asked for pancakes the last two days for breakfast. Fine, I made them. BUT...that may be the last batch for awhile because I just got a call from their ped re: their cholesterol #'s. At their physical 2 weeks ago they had finger pricks done for the 1st time to check their cholesterol. Apparently their doctor likes to start checking at age 6...fine I said; I'm sure they'll be fine. Well, Justin's was 199 and Brian's was 188. Apparently they want to see kids ages 2-19 under 170. So now he wants blood work done to see the full lipid panel...the breakdown of cholesterol between HDL and LDL and total triglycerides. We're thinking we may not do it. They are so terrified of needles as it is I can't imagine what a blood draw would do to them. And let me just say that the doctor already told me that they were too young for any kind of medication so it would just be some modification of their diet...so why put them thru the bloodwork?!?!? So if I modify their diet, why the need for blood??? It's not like they are anywhere near overweight and they couldn't be any more active. Yes, it runs in their family but, come on, they're 6!!! I'll have to mull this one over. Anyone been thru this with their kids? I would appreciate any input or thoughts on the subject.

Well, it looks like a beauty of a day here in NJ so we're off to the pool!! Have a great day everyone...

Jen:]

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

WOW! I never thought about cholestrol at such a young age. I would hate to see what Liv's is :(
I agree with not pursing the tests. Great job, super mama!!!!!

Kat

Gretchen said...

Just a question...had they eaten anything that day when they had their cholesterol drawn? If they had, this will elevate it. I'm kind of with you, maybe try diet modification for 6 months. Recheck by a finger stick and if it's still elevated then think about doing a blood draw.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennifer
Your Secret Blog Pal here! Another guatemama...:)

Re: cholesterol, good for you on diet modification- has to be better for them anyway, right? check out the benefits of omega-3 oils too. good for cholesterol, brain function, and so much more. lots of good brands for kids out there. coromega is easy to get them to take...

All my best!
-SBP

redhawks said...

Thanks girls!

Hey SBP...thanks for the tip on omega-3s. I'll definitely look into that!!

Have a good one,
Jen:)