Thursday, January 11, 2007

Off and running...

Since deciding to adopt in November 2006, we have been "paperchasing", also known as gathering every single detail of your life, having it scrutinized, having it notarized and then notarized AGAIN! It seems endless but I know we will soon be finished...I hope!!! Here's what we've done so far...
1. Application rec'd & approved by our agency, FTIA, on 12/15/06.
2. Hired social worker to begin the homestudy process on 12/23/06.
3. Started gathering necessary paperwork...so far I have both of our birth certificates & our marriage license. I had to go to the vital statistics department in Trenton (luckily we only live 45 minutes away) and have original copies made with the raised seal. We both had our physicals and our doctor signed letters saying that we were mentally, physically & emotionally stable enough to parent a child (thank goodness, what if we weren't? would they take back the ones we already have??? insert eyeroll here!) These letters also had to be notarized and the notary's commission needs to be good for 2 years. Unfortunately, the notary at the doctors office had a commission expiration date of 4/08...not good enough! So I had to hire a mobile notary to meet me at my doctors office to witness the signing of the letters and then notarize them. Two letters, 10 minutes, $85 (hey, how do you become a notary...) I also had our pediatrician sign letters saying that the boys were in good health & that their immunizations were up to date and they were well cared for. We also have to have criminal background checks done. Craig has already gone for his fingerprints and I go for mine on Monday, 1/15/07. We're getting there, slowly but surely. We still have to get reference letters done and Craig needs to finish his autobiography for the homestudy and then we can have our 1st of 2 homestudy visits. The sooner we can complete the homestudy the faster we can file our I600A form which is very important. Guatemala is in for a lot of changes this year when the US ratifies the Hague, so once we get our I600A form filed we should be grandfathered in and the new rules will not apply to our adoption.

So not much going on in our lives (ha, ha)...will keep everyone posted on our progress!!!
Happy New Year everybody!!!
Jen

No comments: