It just seems like every Friday for the past few weeks we get some kind of bad/disturbing news. So the DOS (Dept. of State) posted an announcement on their website regarding Guatemalan adoptions...here's the link-
http://www.travel.state.gov/family/adoption/intercountry/intercountry_3147.html
Basically it is a statement warning Americans contemplating a Guatemalan adoption that there's been some shady things going on down there and to be aware of what you're getting yourself into. We did already know that Guatemala was very volatile in the adoption world. But it was nervewracking to hear the DOS say that. On the other hand, our agency sent out an email to all their Guatemalan families in process saying that they felt all would be okay, and that they were in contact with their Guatemalan lawyers and they feel that everything will work out. So I am putting all my faith in them that it will indeed work out. Of course Guatemala can do anything they want whenever they want and shut down adoptions tomorrow if they choose....they've done it before! We were (and are) very aware of this fact...when you're dealing with international adoption these are the risks you take. I just hope this week comes and goes without any more bad/disturbing news...PLEASE!!!
In other news, I am waiting on our last two documents that we need for the social worker so he can finalize our homestudy report. I may be able to get both tomorrow...definitely one (Craig is picking it up after work) and possibly the other. I hope so; then I can overnight the package on Tuesday and our social worker will have them on Wednesday! That was my original goal...to have all the paperwork to him by the end of February...and it actually may happen!!! Keep everything crossed for us...
Craig & I had a discussion this weekend about what we would do if Guatemala did shut down...and we figure we will go back to our original country choice, which was China. I'm sure we'll have to redo some paperwork and the wait will definitely be longer, but if we have to we will make the change. Luckily our agency handles China adoptions as well (I made sure of that anticipating there might be a problem down the road w/Guatemala) so we should be able to transition to China *relatively* easily. But we're just going to take it one day at a time and see what God has in store for us...
Thanks for reading!!
Jen :]
Sunday, February 25, 2007
Why is every Friday doomsday?!?!?
Posted by
redhawks
at
8:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment